Monday, February 14, 2011

English Gates

I have a fascination with gates, doors, posts, fences and walls .. just in case you haven't noticed yet . They often find themselves to be the the focus of my shot.   I'm not sure what I like most about them,   but while in England last year I was treated to some great subjects.  

All the farmers fields have access to them via these gates, So nice to be able to walk around without giant NO trespassing signs everywhere.   Field Gate 1 

Field Gate 2 

This style of getting over the fence, brings back a lot of childhood memories. Field Gate 3

Not as pretty as the others, but functionable.  Field Gate 4 

Wooden Version , of the swinging gate design .  Field gate 5 

No gate at all really ,  just an access path . 

Your even allowed to walk through the cow fields :)) Field gate 6 

This one just had a certain rustic charm about it . 

One of the college buildings in Oxford.  

Recently repaired dry stone wall 
In need of repair dry stone wall,  over looking Charlbury 

I hope you have enjoyed these pictures, please leave a comment below , or drop by my Facebook photo page ( link at the bottom of blog ) and let me know what you thought.
Thanks Rich

Next set will be of the hike I took yesterday , was a great hike/photo shoot that ended in me spending 2 hours digging my truck out of the heavy snow :))

5 comments:

  1. Hi, Rich, I had missed this post. Your gates and college building pics. are absolutely delightful. Gate #3 with the "step" of sorts to climb over - we came across and used this type of access while hiking in Germany a couple of summers ago. We never once saw a sign warning us "No Trespassing". Of course, maybe there was such a sign - in German - and we didn't understand it. LOL!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lindy :)) Ill be sure to sort thru the rest and post some more :)
    The walkways and bridleways around my home town are all public access, as far as Im aware the farmers are obligated to leave a path , and the hikers are obligated to stay on that path and not mess with the crops. Works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a lovely album and it's also lovely to hear about the "etiquette" between farmers and hikers.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How lovely and reminds me of my old home in North Yorkshire. Thanks for sharing : )

    ReplyDelete